File this hotel heist under made-for-Hollywood plot lines. Thieves in the know make their way into a five-star hotel room while guests are occupied at dinner and make off with six figures worth of cash and jewelry.
While this was a fictitious storyline last season on ABC’s The Catch, it played out in real life last month at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Dallas.
A bride was attending her rehearsal dinner when two suspects casually made their way into her hotel room and made off with over $100,000 in cash, credit cards, and jewelry. Those items included the couples’ wedding bands, bridal party jewelry, and irreplaceable heirlooms from the bride’s late father. This theft also hits closer to home as the bride is known by some in my social circle.
There are a few crazy twists to the story as well – the Daily Mail picked up the story earlier this month. Apparently the wedding officiant had his room ransacked the night before as well. The hotel has been investigating both incidents.
The Dallas police are seeking assistance from the public in identifying the suspects. They were clearly caught on surveillance cameras after the hotel heist.
View the video below. If you have leads, call Dallas Police Detective Keller at 214-670-5053 or Dallas Crime Stoppers at 214-373-TIPS.
This sad incident is a good reminder of several things:
- Always exercise caution when leaving valuables in hotel rooms.
- During events with published schedules, minimize which individuals have awareness of group room lists.
- Utilize hotel safes when possible for valuables you must bring with you.
- Don’t bring excess cash or credit cards.
- Review possible insurance coverage for borrowed jewelry or gifts in your possession.