We receive compensation for some links on this blog and are always grateful if you use these links to support our content. Any opinions expressed in this post are our own, and have not been reviewed, approved, sponsored, or endorsed by our advertising partners unless otherwise specifically noted.
Check out our 9 Products to Beat the Heat This Summer.
If you are a weekly warrior business traveler like me, you may have just barely escaped the east coast weather delays in time to make it home for the three-day weekend. And, like me, you may have woken up this morning and realized you need to take something with you to a Fourth of July gathering. So here’s an easy recipe I’ve fine-tuned that can be whipped up in a jiffy and is always a hit – S’mores Bars.
These are perfect for the 4th of July as they remind me of one of my favorite summer camp treats. They are always a hit with both adults and kids – and I rarely come home with leftovers.
There are several takes of this recipe floating around the internet but I’ve put a different spin on it by layering the chocolate to create a more traditional s’mores composition. The result is dessert bar with crispy outer layers and a gooey chocolate layer in between, just like real campfire s’mores. Bring cute napkins if you take these to a party as they will bring out your inner six year old, sticky fingers and all!
- 1 box Golden Grahams cereal (12 oz size)
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows (10 oz size)
- 1 bag of chocolate chips or pieces (10-12 oz size)
- 4 T butter
- 1 T vanilla extract (I use Mexican vanilla but regular works well too)
- Melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan (or in large microwave safe bowl on medium-high)
- Stir in vanilla extract
- Mix in marshmallows – warm butter should begin to soften marshmallow mixture
- If using stovetop, continue to heat marshmallow/butter mixture (or heat in 30 second increments in microwave) stirring in between, until mixture is creamy
- Add box of Golden Grahams to warm marshmallow mixture, working quickly to blend
- Spread 1/2 of mixture in bottom of 9×13 casserole dish that has been greased with non-stick cooking spray (or light coating of butter)
- Sprinkle chocolate chips/pieces over this layer
- Drop remaining marshmallow/Golden Graham mixture over top to create an even layer, pressing as you work. Chocolate should melt softly into the bars as you work. If chocolate does not seem to be melting quickly, heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Allow to cool/solidify for 30-60 minutes and cut into 18 bars.
And try not to eat all of them before you make it to your gathering!
Have a happy (and safe) Fourth of July – whether you are off jetsetting or enjoying your homestead – this weekend!