American will be making changes to meal service in domestic first class cabins beginning September 1. The move is to standardize service across the board as a continuing step of the merger with US Airways. These first class meal service changes will eliminate plated meals on most flights under 2 hours and 45 minutes.
For most markets, the following chart will now apply:
This move also eliminates dinner service on flights departing after 8 pm.
There are some market exceptions where a meal will still be served:
- Dallas/Fort Worth, flights to/from Detroit, Chicago, and Salt Lake City
- Chicago, flights to/from Boston, Washington Reagan, Denver, New York (JFK/LaGuardia), Raleigh/Durham, and Dallas/Fort Worth
- Miami, flights to/from Houston and Port-au-Prince
- New York JFK, flights to/from Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa
- Fort Lauderdale, fights to/from New York JFK and Port-au-Prince
For everyone else, it’s time to get used to the snack basket!